top of page
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 pound ground turkey or 80/20 lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Chef Paul Hawaii Paniolo
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup Modelo Beer
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 can black beans (15 ounce drained, use your favorite beans or omit)
- 3 ea. bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onion and a pinch of salt,cook stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.Add ground turkey or beef, and cook, stirring to crumble, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Lower heat and add Chef Paul Hawaii Paniolo, chili powder, smoked paprika and cook,stirring constantly, until fragrant and mixture has darkened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in beer and Worcestershire sauce and mix. Return to a simmer over medium-high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has reduced by half about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, beans,bay leaves and ketchup and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low,cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors combine and chili has thickened slightly, 20 to 30 minutes. (If chili becomes too thick, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to loosen.)
- Serve over steamed rice or hot dog with some of your favorite chili garnishes. Below are some accompaniments I enjoy with my chili.
- Garnishing ideas: finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese,sour cream, thinly sliced scallions, thinly sliced radishes, tortilla and root vegetable chips, fresh or pickled jalapeño slices, avocado, coarsely chopped cilantro.
Chef Paul Heerlein
bottom of page